Search

Google

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Update on Gardening

As of late, I have been doing a lot of research into forest gardening and the efficacy of the its practice, and frankly, I think it is the best gardening system I have come across! Now, I am pretty new to gardening techniques, but the way it works just makes so much sense.

A garden comprised of food bearing perennials(plants that return year after year) and some non-food bearing perennials that provides food and medicine year after year. It seems to just fit nicely with the current hustle and bustle of life since forest gardens require little upkeep.

To be more specific, the system works by the gardener selecting and pairing plants that not only provide food, but also provide a healthy environment for the other plants. For instance, selecting a tree that may not necessarily produce food but that infuses important nutrients like nitrogen into the soil makes the garden work particularly well. I am right now reading about the ginkgo tree and how well it is going to go in my future forest garden because it is a hardy tree that benefits the overall ecosystem. As an added bonus, it is a medicinal tree that has been used for thousands of years in Traditional Chinese Medicine for boosting memory.

In summary, I am really excited about forest gardening and cannot wait to start mine! I will continually post about forest gardening because I think it is really important.

1 comment:

site said...

I read really much useful data here!